The Bartholomew County Historical Society museum is temporarily closed until late June due to the Coronavirus. Please check back for up-to-date information.
We will still be available for research and other questions. Please call 812.372.3541 and we will return your call as soon as possible.
The Historical Society Research Library
The Society’s Library collection comprises family genealogy, diaries, and manuscripts; church, cemetery, and bible records; books, clippings on local and county history and historic architecture; postcards, photos, atlases, and maps. They are located in the Cline Keller Library at 524 Third Street on the 2nd floor at the Historical Society museum.
Some library guidelines:
- A $5.00 contribution for library use is greatly appreciated.
- Copies are 25¢ per page for museum guests.
- For guests outside the Columbus area, some research and genealogy work can be performed. For these requests please contact us via US mail, by phone or e-mail email@example.com.
- If we research a topic for you, there is a minimum charge of $15.
- Shipping and handling fees may also apply to research requests.
For birth and death records:
- Indiana Birth Records after 1907 are available from the Indiana State Department of Health, 6 West Washington St. Indianapolis, IN 46204 Phone (317) 233-2700 Fax: (317) 233-7210
- Bartholomew County births and death records have been kept since 1882. Contact the Bartholomew County Health Department –Vital Records at 440 Third Street, Columbus, Indiana 47201. Phone 812-379-1550 or fax 379-1040. The current fee for copies of the records is $8.00.
- Many Bartholomew County Cemeteries have been indexed, some as early as 1820. Please call us at 812-372-3541 to check the cemetery indexes for you.
FUN FOOTNOTES IN COUNTY HISTORY : THE HOPE MAIL CARRIER
Mail carrier in Hope, Indiana – the name written on the photo is Joe Clouse.