The Historical Society Research Library
The Society’s Library collection comprises family genealogy, diaries, and manuscripts; church, cemetery, and bible records; books, clippings on local and county history and historic architecture; postcards, photos, atlases, and maps. They are located in the Cline Keller Library at 524 Third Street on the 2nd floor at the Historical Society museum.
Some library guidelines:
- A $5 contribution for library use is greatly appreciated.
- Copies are 25¢ per page for museum guests.
- For guests outside the Columbus area, some research and genealogy work can be performed. For these requests please contact us via US mail, by phone or e-mail email@example.com.
- If we research a topic for you, there is a minimum charge of $15.
- Shipping and handling fees may also apply to research requests.
For birth and death records:
- Indiana Birth Records after 1907 are available from the Indiana State Department of Health, 6 West Washington St. Indianapolis, IN 46204 Phone 317-233-2700 Fax: 317-233-7210
- Bartholomew County births and death records have been kept since 1882. Contact the Bartholomew County Health Department –Vital Records at 440 Third Street, Columbus, Indiana 47201. Phone 812-379-1550 or fax 379-1040. The current fee for copies of the records is $8.00.
- Many Bartholomew County Cemeteries have been indexed, some as early as 1820. Please call us at 812-372-3541 to check the cemetery indexes for you.
FUN FOOTNOTES IN COUNTY HISTORY : THE HOPE MAIL CARRIER