Museum Library / Book Purchase
The Society’s Library collection comprises family genealogy, diaries, and manuscripts; church, cemetery, and bible records; books, clippings, and on local and county history, historic architecture; postcards, photos, atlases, and maps. They are located in the Cline Keller Library at the Museum Center at 524 Third Street.
Some library guidelines are as follows:
- A $5.00 contribution for library use is greatly appreciated.
- Copies are 25¢ per page for museum guests.
For guests outside the Columbus area, some research and genealogy work can be performed. For these requests:
- Send us your request via e-mail, US mail, or by phone.
- If we research a topic for you, there is a minimum charge of $15.
- Shipping and handling fees may also apply to research requests.
For birth and death records:
- Indiana Birth Records after 1907 are available from the Indiana State Department of Health, 6 West Washington St. Indianapolis, IN 46204 Phone (317) 233-2700 Fax: (317) 233-7210
- Bartholomew County births and death records have been kept since 1882. Contact the Bartholomew County Health Department –Vital Records at 440 Third Street, Columbus, Indiana 47201. Phone 812-379-1550 or fax 379-1040. The current fee for copies of the records is $8.00.
- Many Bartholomew County Cemeteries have been indexed, some as early as 1820. Please call us at 812-372-3541 to check the cemetery indexes for you.